By Clare O’Keefe
NEWBURGH- Mount Saint Mary College (MSMC) Career Center hosted their very first Real World Connections event on Sept. 22.
Typically every year the Career Center will host an Employment Fair in the spring semester to bring employers to campus and help students seek out jobs or internships. This year, the Career Center decided to try out something new—Real World Connections.
The Real World Connections are held and intended for graduating seniors, and focuses on inviting students to network with real employers in their potential field(s) of work. This month’s Real World Connections was for Corporate NYC. There were employees from The National Bank of Canada, Morgan Stanley, Bank of Merrill Lynch, KPMG, NY Life, PFK O’Connor Davies, Thomson Reuters, Third Bridge, and Credit Suisse, many of which are affiliated with Wall Street.
The event took place in the Villa Library from 6:30-8 p.m. There were hors d’oeuvre’s served and refreshments provided for all who attended. Members of the Business School faculty were invited as well. There were about 35 students in attendance. Students were encouraged to talk to as many employers as they could to create instant connections for the future.
Real World Connections is a vital way to land your foot in the door and network with important people. Throughout the year, the Career Center will be hosting several Real World Connections for a variety of different majors. Below is the Real World Connections schedule for the remainder of the academic year:
- Real World Connections in Sports: Tuesday, Oct. 18 6:30-8:00 p.m.
- Real World Connections in Writing and Journalism: Tuesday Nov. 1, 6-7:30 p.m.
- Real World Connections in Healthcare: Tuesday Nov. 8, 4-5:30 p.m.
- Real World Connections in IT & Digital Technology: Tuesday, Feb. 28, 4-5:30 p.m.
- Real World Connections in the Non-Profit Sector: Wednesday, March 22, 4-5:30 p.m.
- Real World Connections in PR and Marketing Communications: Wednesday, March 29, 6:30-8 p.m.
- Real World Connections in the Hudson Valley: Wednesday Apr. 5, 5-6:30 p.m.
All graduating seniors will receive an email from the Career Center with the link to sign up for each upcoming Real World Connections event. Make sure you secure a spot secured so you can network and make long-lasting, real world connections!