By Charlie Sloves

Courtesy of MSMC Flickr

Almost every freshman in college has some idea of what moving into their dorm would be like. I had a picture in my head of what my day would be, how I would feel, and how my family members would react to moving me in and then leaving me behind. What I thought move-in day at the Mount Saint Mary College would be was completely different from what it was. Almost like how I pictured my life: graduating high school and being filthy rich and famous. In reality, I’m sitting here in college, studying nursing, and writing this article.

I woke up at 5:30 a.m. in Long Island. The car was already packed so my mom, step dad, brother, sister, and I crawled into the car and did not say one word to each other the whole ride up to the Mount. I didn’t know if it was because they were really upset about bringing me to school and leaving me behind or if they were dreading helping me move in. When I pulled up to the Mount, I really had no idea what to expect. My mom pointed to the tables set up and said “That’s so cute that they set that up for everyone.” She was talking about the muffins and the water the Mount always provides us with.

My step dad parked the car and security gave us a 30 minute time limit that we had to unload the car. There were not enough carts for everyone that was moving in, and parents began to get feisty!

The elevators were crowded with a line equivalent to a line of men waiting outside “Foot Locker” for the new release of a pair of Air Jordan’s. I felt like every move I made was being watched by other freshmen and their families around me. People also looked at the food, and clothes I was bringing and the whole process felt intimidating.

I found my roommate Ryan through a “Facebook” group. We have hung out multiple times before coming to the Mount. Without knowing her, this process would have been a lot more stressful and nerve-racking.  When we got up to our room, we both panicked and looked at our parents for help.

Ryan decided to pack her whole room, all of Target and at that moment our room was also isles: 5, 6, 7 and 8 of Target. It took us from 7:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. to get everything settled in our room. At 3:00 p.m., Ryan and I were extremely wiped out and were in desperate need of food and sleep.

It was 4:00 p.m. when we realized our parents were the only parents left, and it was time for them to go. I finally knew how much my mom was going to miss me, and how I was going to miss her too. However, I really wanted her to leave because I was afraid I was going to become emotional.

The move in process at the Mount was a day I will remember for the rest of my life. It was a day filled with stress, struggle and excitement. I am so happy and thankful to be here at the Mount and I hope to have a great year with all of you!