By Angelique Suarez
Beginning college is a big step in life. You never know what to expect, or when to expect it. As a junior in college, I can assure you that your first semester will be full of surprises and regrettable decisions.
Your first semester will be one of the most enjoyable times of your college career! You learn more about yourself in these three months than you have in your entire life. Things you never thought you would experience in your lifetime become memories.
It would be far less intimidating if you knew what to expect. So to help you prepare for what is forthcoming, here are some things you are sure to expect during your first semester:
– This is mostly likely your first time on your own without your family and friends, so you’re bound to miss them! Hang in there, it gets better.
Wanting to change your major about 10,000 times:
– Do not worry, this is normal. You will figure out what career path fits you! There is no rush. Make the decision when you are ready.
– College is VERY different from High School. You make your own decisions and have to deal with the consequences on your own. So make good choices!
The laundry room is like The Hunger Games
– May the odds be in your favor. It is a dog-eat-dog world in there, so make sure you set a timer for when your washer and dryer are done to avoid being caught in the midst.
Wondering if you are doing college “right.”
– Questioning yourself based on others’ college experiences. Do not worry if you are not partying all the time, or having the time of your life yet. Just ease into it.
Branching out of your comfort zone:
– Try to do things you have never done before. Some of those new experiences become the best memories. It will not always work out, but at least you can say you tried.