by: Nicole Allen
In the past 10 days over 100 designers showcased their Fall/Winter 2016 collections. Here are the top five trends of New York Fashion Week:
1) Kayne West: This fashion month started out with a bang all because of Kanye West. West rented out Madison Square Garden to showcase his newest collection “Yeezy Season 3.” Along with the debut of his newest collection, West also released his newest album “The Life of Pablo.” It was exclusively played at his show where over 50 models sported his looks all in the typical Yeezy fashion. The collection featured athletic wear, a first for Kanye, as well as a few bright colors. There were also many notable faces at the fashion show such as Naomi Campbell, Lamar Odom and the entire Kardashian-Jenner clan.
2) “See now, buy now”: A lot is changing in the fashion world. Changes started when big name designers like Raf Simmons and Alber Elbaz left their coveted positions at exclusive fashion houses. A few weeks ago Burberry announced that it will move to a see now buy now model after this fashion week. This means that Burberry will no longer unveil its clothes six months before it hits store and that its men’s and womenswear will be together. Other designers like Tom Ford and Tommy Hilfiger have also decided to follow this model.
3) 90s Grunge: The grunge look covered the runways this fashion week. Houses like DKNY showed their 90s love with black oversized sweatshirts with sayings like “Don’t Knock New York.” New York designer Alexander Wang debuted a 90s grunge collection in a church this fashion week. The collection had a “Hot Topic” vibe to it with black make-up, ripped tights and oversized sweaters with strippers as the design. Rihanna also channeled 90s grunge into her debut collection with Puma this fashion week. The “Work” singer show cased a slew of athletic leisure type clothing paired with her personal collaborative sneakers of course.
4) Alanna Arrington: During fashion month there always is one fresh face that stands out from the rest and this season it’s Alanna Arrington. The 17 year old model from Iowa who closed BCBG and Opened Altuzarra is a fashion week first timer. Hopefully we will be seeing more of her in the upcoming European shows.
5) Playful Prints: Designers showed their playful side this season by mixing up matching prints. Houses like Calvin Klein and Marc Jacobs used subtle but sleek mismatch prints on their models, while Carolina Herrera incorporated mismatched fur prints into their fall collection.