By: Rose Linehan
Studying abroad may be one of the most life changing and greatest experiences you can have during your time in college. Whether it is four weeks over the summer or over an entire semester, this gives you the chance to explore new places you may never thought you could have seen before.
Here are ten specific reasons why studying abroad is the best choice you can make.
- See the world. Studying abroad gives you the opportunity to enhance your global vision during your travels. You can explore new places and become more geographically aware as well.
- Meet new people. When you study abroad, you earn the chance to meet many new people. You will meet locals and natives. Members of your host country can even become great friends if you let them!
- Understand the culture of others. Everyone should get the chance to experience another culture at least once in their lives. By experiencing another’s culture, you will be more appreciative of others’ way of life.
- Finding new interests. While you are abroad, you may find some cool new interests that you never knew you had. You will get the chance to take part in new and exciting activities, some that you may not have the ability or opportunity to partake in within your own native country.
- Individual growth. During your time abroad, you will grow spectacularly as a person. You will come to understand the full weight of your likes and dislikes. You will discover new things everyday, and find out what its like to be independent while residing in a foreign environment.
- Experience. This is one of the largest benefits of studying abroad. Everyone walks away with an experience. While traveling the world, you will develop a global mindset you may not have had prior, and also a newfound appreciation for your experiences back home.
- Challenge yourself. While being abroad and on your own, you will be challenging yourself every day. To stray far from your comfort zone and welcome in new experiences. You will challenge your abilities, skills and interests while accepting that the best time of your life can only happen if you let it.
- Now may be the easiest time of your life to travel. While you are in college, you have a greater opportunity to travel. Academic association implies you probably do not have a full time career to worry about or a family to provide for at the moment. Therefore, you have the luxury to answer your own beckon call for travel before you settle down in life. And your school will be there along the way to help you in case difficulties arise.
- Memories. While being abroad, you are sure to cultivate memories that cannot be recreated elsewhere. Memories that will stick with you for the rest of your life, that will include the people you met, the places you have seen, and the things that you have done.
- Be Independent. While you are abroad, you are living on your own and have to be responsible for yourself. This gives you the chance to grow as an individual and learn to conduct yourself with integrity, maturity, and self-respect.
Could you imagine what it would be like to witness in person a scene you have only ever known in movies, paintings, or pictures before? Images embedded in popular culture, like the Leaning Tower of Pisa or The Eiffel Tower?
With study abroad, imagination is removed from the equation and actualization is added, making some of your wildest fantasies all the more possible!
“Life is short and the world is wide” ~ Simon Raven