By: Clare O’Keefe
NEWBURGH- Saint Patrick’s Day, also commonly referred to as St. Paddy’s Day, is a time to celebrate your Irish heritage with family and friends. If you’re not Irish you might be “Irish for the day.”
Everyone is proud to be “Irish’ on Saint Patrick’s Day, but, being Irish goes so much further than just celebrating Saint Patrick’s Day. Being Irish is being proud of where you’ve come from and how hard your ancestors fought for your freedom.
To be Irish is to know that you are strong, independent, brave, and won’t turn away from adversity.
The Irish are also known for being kind and welcoming. They are always quick to make a cup of tea and to offer words of comfort.
Here are my top ten favorite Irish quotes and blessings to remind you that being Irish is more than a once a year thing.
- May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your face, the rains fall soft upon your fields and, until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of His hand.
- May you always walk in sunshine, may you never want for more, may Irish angels rest their wings right beside your door.
- May your blessings outnumber the Shamrocks that grow, and may trouble avoid you wherever you go.
- Time is a great storyteller.
- A kind word never broke anyone’s mouth
- May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door
- A good laugh and a long sleep are the two best cures for anything
- Your feet will take you where your heart is
- May you always be blessed with walls for the wind, a roof for the rain, a warm cup of tea by the fire, those you love near you and all that your heart might desire.
- If you’re enough lucky to be Irish… You’re lucky enough!
Hope you all had a fun and safe St. Paddy’s Day!